Saturday, 24 April 2010

A week in the life of GGP - nettle soup, heathland and bluebells

I haven't posted for a while due to holiday and computer problems, so I thought I would do a precis of my week.  On Monday I paid a visit to the Quakers Meeting House in Ifield. Built in 1676, it was the first purpose built Quaker building in the world.  It is a beautiful peaceful spot, and the congregation have been trying to encourage more wildflowers in their burial ground.  I did a botanical survey for them last year and was pleased to see more primroses and abudance of barren strawberry.  Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday were spent in the office, but on Wednesday ran our weekly volunteer task.


We were doing some path maintenance, cutting down some young birch that the snow (remember that?) had bent over a footpath, and blocking off other unwanted paths to prevent disturbance of ground nesting birds and sensitive habitat.
On Thursday I had a meeting talking about BOAs - biodiversity opportunity areas.  Conservationists have as much jargons as anyone else!  BOAs are areas that are good for wildlife and could be improved still further.  I see that they are the building blocks of Living Landscapes, diverse, attractive, inter-connected wildlife rich landcsapes.
On Friday, I was back at Buchan, where the rangers were hosting a "countryside forum" day that I organise.  All the local countryside staff come to see a site and talk about shared issues.  Thanks to Robin and Simon for showing us the heathland.  We talked about purple emperor butterflies, anglers and why a little bit of light scrub on a heath is now bad thing.  Unfortunately I was too busy listening to take any photos!  
I made nettle soup for lunch - if you are interested in the recipe follow this link: http://www.rivercottage.net/SeasonalRecipes~/841/Nettlesoup.aspx

Today, Saturday, I led a walk. . Despite the all the sunshine, it is only in the last few days that the leaves have really started to unfurl on the trees and the spring flowers are still going strong.



It was advertised as bluebell walk, but they are only just beginning to open due to the cold start to the year.  But the blackthorn was in full flower, and we did see orange-tip, speckled wood, small tortoiseshell and peacock butterflies (none willing to pose).
 

But in the sheltered sunny spots there were bluebells fully open.  By next weekend the woods should be blanketed - go and see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment